Abogados de Inmigración - Abogados en California
Make an Informed Decision!

  About Immigration Lawyers?

  FAQ & Glossary

  Legal Resources
Resources and Legal Assistance
Citizenship and Naturalization
USCIS Immigration Forms
Find some of the forms most frequently used in immigration processes. Click here to continue.
Immigration Forms
Legal Help
Learn more about the type of legal services that Immigration Lawyers can offer you. Click here.
Legal Help
Contact Us
Call us or e-mail us, and one of our legal analysts will assist you. Click here.
Contact Immigration Lawyers
Citizenship and Naturalizaion A citizen of the United Estates is a person who by birth or naturalization has the protection of the United States as well as its constitutional rights and obligations. Through the process of naturalization, a person born outside the country can become a citizens. Do you qualify to become a citizen of the United States by birth or naturalization? More information.

Call us and consult a qualified immigration lawyer. Our legal analysts may point you in the right direction.

About Citizenship and Naturalization

Since by law any individual born in the United States or any of its territories is considered to be an American citizen, there is no action required on his or her part in order to receive the benefits of this status. On the other hand, any individual born outside of the United States (unless he or she has an American parent) needs to go through the naturalization process in order to become a citizen.

To become an American citizen, the applicant must be a permanent resident of the United States. There are a few exceptions to this rule. A good example of this is the exeption made to individuals who honorably served in the US Military Forces during periods of war among others.

Additionally, it is required that the applicant remains in the United States for a period of no less than five (5) years, unless his or her naturalization process is based on his or her marriage to an American citizen. In these cases the minimum time required is only three (3) years.

At the same time, the applicant must have not left the United States for a year or more. Individuals who live outside the country for this period of time could lose their residency even if they left the country with proper authorization. The only individuals who are exempt from this law are those serving in the military or government agencies around the world.

Finally, the applicant must live for at least three (3) months within the state or district where the naturalization case was originally filed and be considered a person of good moral character. With regards to the last statement, it is normally understood that a person of good moral character is the one that does not break the law and lives according to his or her community norms. This includes not being accused of a crime and taking care of his or her financial responsibilities towards his or her spouse and children (child support, etc). The law does not establish what a person of “good moral character” is, but an immigration attorney could clarify any doubts that you may have.

Remember that all naturalization applicants must be able to read, write and speak English unless otherwise incapable due to a mental or physical disability. If at the time the petition is filed, the applicant was between 50 and 55 years of age and has been a permanent resident of the United States for more than 20 years, he or she could be examined in his or her native language.

During the citizenship exam, all applicants must take and pass an oral and written test on the history and government of the United States of America.

Do you have any questions or want to setup a consultation? Click here to continue
Attorney Search Network - Copyright © 2000 - 2007.
All Rights Reserved - Disclaimer

This web site is owned and operated by Attorney Search Network
American and California State Bar Certified Lawyer Referral Service, Certification # 113

Copyright © 2000 - Attorney Search Network All Rights Reserved.

Our attorneys and law firms may be able to help you in some of the following area of law:
Bankruptcy Lawyers | Business Lawyers | Burn Victim Lawyer | Centro Legal Latino | Centro Legal Hispano | Criminal Defense Lawyers | Drunk Driving lawyers | Estate Planning Lawyers | Elder Abuse Lawyers | Employment Law Lawyers | Family Law Lawyers | Federal Criminal Lawyers | Immigration Lawyers | Insurance Lawyers | Personal Injury Lawyers | Real Estate Lawyers | Injury Lawyers Referral | Serious Injury Lawyers | Social Security Lawyers | Tax Lawyers | Truck Accident Lawyers |Whistle Blower Lawyers | Workers Compensation Lawyer

Attorney Search Network Main sites
Attorney Search Network | Get A Referral | Brain Victim-Help Center | Burn Victims Lawyers | Law for USA | California Attorney | Criminal Defense | Lawyer Bureau | Search for Attorney | State Bar Associations | State Bar Certified LRIS